Saturday 5 February 2011

New Work!



I am working on a new project which will be a graphic novel set in 1700s London and based around the life of a well-known British figure. The characters are all based on real people and I have been researching into the people, costumes, writings and culture of the time.

A lot of the source material for the drawings have come from films and paintings:







Most of these are from the films 'Barry Lyndon' and 'Farrinelli'.

Some typography from leaflets, posters and other publications -


So far I'm planning that the graphic novel will be in black and white and I've been working with various materials for this, mainly charcoal, pen and ink. I want the atmosphere to be dark and grimy, which the charcoal really helps bring out:



This is a rough idea for two chacters, Kate Hackabout and Betty Careless. I have used a combination of black pen, charcoal and putty rubber for the highlights:



Some rough, un-developed sketches of James Thornhill, who will feature in the story :



Below are some hasty drawings of a crowd scene in 'Farinelli', drawn as the film was running:


More to follow later! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment